Tuesday, August 02, 2016
Korg MS-20 Retro Expansion by Yew Tree Magic's Martin Walker
This one in via Martin Walker of Sound on Sound, who brought us the Yew Tree Magic's Steampunk Shruthi Sound Designer Edition.
"With additional top-mounted panel controls and handsome cherry hardwood side panels, the Retro Expansion is a heavily modded version of the Korg MS-20 Mini by Martin Walker that includes the following additional features:
1. MULTI-OUTPUTS: separate TRI, SAW and PULSE output sockets, all available simultaneously, plus a separate output for OSC2.
2. PWM: an additional input for OSC1 variable pulse width modulation, using the existing pulse width knob to control PWM level.
3. SYNC: An OSC2 Sync toggle switch, to lock it with OSC1 for those screaming lead sync FX.
4. FM: An FM input added to OSC2 with its own rotary level control, so it could be modulated at audio rates by OSC1 among other options.
5. VCO MIXER: expansion for the existing mixer section, adding two extra input sockets, each with its own level control knob.
6. DIODE RING MOD: a more traditional transformer/schottky diode ring modulator circuit to achieve far more mellow ring mod options than the integral (XOR) option.
7. Final casework mods include a new top-mounting panel for all the new controls, a 1/4-inch jack output, and cherry hardwood side panels from Dolmage Designs.
If you're interested in adding any or all of these Retro Expansion mods to your own MS-20 Mini, all details of the circuit changes and more photos are available at www.yewtreemagic.co.uk. They should also work on the original MS-20 and more recent kit versions."