Tuesday, April 11, 2017
Waldorf Quantum - Musikmesse 2017
Published on Apr 11, 2017 Sound On Sound magazine
"8-Voice Analog/Digital Hybrid Polyphonic Synthesizer"
Update: some key points from the video captured by Soviet Space Child and a couple of feature suggestions:
1) the digital processing section can be put pre or post analog filter, this is huge for me.
2) the analog filters are lowpass only.
3) the oscillators are freely routable between the analog filters, digital processing section, or can bypass them all together and go straight to the VCA. This adds a lot of flexibility to the synth, in that a single patch effectively becomes a 3 timbre synthesizer, with each oscillator comprising of its own timbre. In theory, one oscillator can go to the analog filters, another can go to the digital processing section, a third can go straight to the amp section. This, combined with the various oscillator types, makes the Quantum an incredibly flexible synthesizer. Now, with all that taken into consideration, add the split/layering mode and you have yourself a party.
4) FM is not yet decided upon, bummer. Here's hoping for linear FM between the oscillators.
5) You can analyze audio files and convert them into wavetables (!!!)
5) 40(!!!) modulation slots.
1) Addition of linear FM
2) Internal resampling for the wavetable and granular/sample oscillators would be great.