Be sure to see the Synth Movies list and see the Synth Movies and Synth TV and Film labels for more.
1. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Synths: ARP 2500 played by Phillip Dodds, head of ARP Engineering, Yamaha CS-?.
2. Fame Synths: ARP 2600, MOOG Minimoog
3. Brainstorm Synths: Triadex Muse
4. High Fidelity '82 (more info on this one here). Synths: Yamaha ?
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off [video here] Synths: Emulator II Image via idiotsavant
6. Beat Street Synths: Prophet 5, Synclavier, ARP 2600, MOOG Memorymoog
7. Krush Groove Synths: DX-7 and Linn Drum
8. Better Off Dead Synths: Juno-106
9. Tango & Cash Synths: EMS Synthi.
10. Sneakers Synths: JX3p and SCI Prophet (2002?), Akai DD1000?
11. Lipstick (video here) Synths: EMS VCS3 (wall of ~6 of them)
12. Running Man Synths: Yamaha GX-1
13. Phantom of Paradise Synths: Tonto image via commeaucinema
14. La Boum II Synths: Drum synth - most likely ROLAND CR-8000 CompuRhythm
15. Contact Synths: Eventide (H3000?).
16. American Anthem Synths: room full of various synths
17. Flight of the Conchords Synths: Minimoog and a few others at around 2:00 on this video.
18. Mighty Boosh Season 2 Episode 2 Priest and the Beast 1 of 3 Synths: misc
19. Big Train Keith Emerson Sketch (previously posted) Synths: misc including SCI Prophet 5, Roland Alpha Juno, Korg Z1
20. Big Train does Roxy Music (previously posted) Synths: MOOG Minimoog
21. The Shout (1981) Synths: EMS gear, probably just about everything EMS made at the time
22. Stealth Synths: Korg KP2s in the command center
23: Masters of the Universe live action movie Synths: Casio MT-210
24. One Perfect Day (2004) Synths: Yamaha RS7000, Motif
25. "The Conversation" with Gene Hackman Synths: EMS VCS3 or a synthi A
26. Revenge of the Nerds Synths: Roland cr-5000
27. Chain Reaction Synths: Ensoniq EPS sampler. EPS makes a cameo as a nuclear fusion reaction stabilizer. Not bad for a humble 12-bit sampler.
28. Howard the Duck Synths: Roland TR-707 and MSQ-100 Note: I'm only listing the synths here. Check out the comments for more details on some. Inspired by the previous post. I want to create a list of film and TV that featured synths in it. Feel free to add to the list in the comments and I'll update the post. If you have a picture or video great, if not, no worries. Note I'm looking for stuff were the synth isn't the focus, but rather makes a cameo. Also, this isn't a top 10 list, so don't take the numbering into consideration.
Update: via Max in the comments:
29. Snuff Box - Empty Room: Roland SH-1000
30. The 10 Greatest Sounds from Star Wars
See this post for more info.
31. See the ARP 2600 in "Et la tendresse?... Bordel!"
32. via synthetic in the comments of this post: "Neil Diamond's "The Jazz Singer" was on cable a few days ago and the synth player was rockin' an ARP Quadra. I think I saw a String Ensemble in there too. The last concert scene, "Fahhh, we've been travelin' faaahhh..."
33. Monk: via Khoral "Fun shot of a Prodigy from 'Mr Monk goes to a rock concert', episode 8, season 5. Not very good quality... if somebody has the dvd, there's surely a better screenshot to do... Cheers Khoral"
Paul Shaffer on Letterman with a mutated Moog Voyager and a "Gerg." The episode is available via South Park Studios online. Direct link here. The scene comes in at 3:21.
More "Gord" this time via Christian Rock Hard! via Mr. Array. Bottom shot is from another episode. Not sure which one, but I'm guessing that's the Jonas Brothers. Update via the comments: it's from "The Ring"
via Mr. Array. Someone at South Park knows their synths. :)
35. GE Dishwasher Production Session
YouTube via SuzanneCiani.
NED Synclavier. Note the Buchla in the background. You might remember this video from this prior post on Suzanne Ciani.
"This video was filmed by Julio Cintron as a documentary about the GE "2800 Dishwasher" at my small studio in 1984." The following video, just posted by SuzanneCiani, is the finished commercial from 1984.
36. GE Beeping Dishwasher
"Here is the finished product after spending a lot of time in my production studio putting it together. All that beeping won me a Clio (Awards for Excellence in Advertising) in 1984."
And a few more just posted by SuzanneCiani on YouTube:
37. Black and Decker Cutter
"How many times have you seen this commercial when you were young?"
38. Columbia Pictures Introduction Logo
"This is my award-winning commerical. Amazingly, nothing fell (that's no bull)." I remember all of these. BTW, be sure to click here and scroll for some great posts on Suzanne Ciani including more video.
39. Violette & François (France 1977) ELKA Rhapsody and EMS Synthi HiFli
Unfortunately the original clip on YouTube is gone. Not sure when it comes in the above.
"Stars Jacques Dutronc and Isabelle Adjani as a young couple. Plot: François (french musician and actor Jacques Dutronc) hasn't a regular job and just work when he need some money. Now he works in an music shop. Bored by the his job, he prefer to play with an electric guitar an immediate damages an guitar amp. Violette & François (France 1977) Directed by Jacques Rouffio Isabelle Adjani as Violette Clot Jacques Dutronc as François Leuwen Seen Instruments: ELKA Rhapsody, EMS Synthi HiFli and at the end of the clip an MiniMoog and a lot of guitars etc. The movie tells the story of the young couple Violette (Isabelle Adjani) and François. Irritated by his former jobs, François becomes a thief. But after a few thefts he get's nabbed."
40. WHITE STAR (1983) Synths - embedding is disabled. You can see it here. "Scenes from WHITE STAR by Roland Klick (1983) Released in USA as LET IT ROCK Plot: Dennis Hopper plays the sordid music manager Kenneth Barlow. Moody Mudinsky (Terrance Robay) is a young and naiv synth musician which believs on Barlow. But Barlow thinks that the public isn't interested into Moody's music, and so he provokes fake riots and assaults in believe to push Moody's career. At the end, Moody recognizes how inability Barlow is. About the scenes: Moody plays his first gig in an punk shed (Barlow knew that the punks doesn't like Moody's synth music and initiated an riot) which ends in an free-for-all. Then Moody left the alligator studios and pack his synths in the believe, that Barlow will push his career. Moody works now in an professional music studio. Frustrated about the fact, that Barlow never achieve any profitable gig, Moody sits drugged in front of the PPG Modular, unable to play any note."
41. One Perfect Day - Final Moments
YouTube via qu4rkz
Update via reSEQUENCer in the comments: "When I worked for Yamaha in Australia, I provided the keyboards & other groove boxes for 'Queen of the Damned' & 'One Perfect Day' (both were filmed in Melbourne)" Synths: "S90 & MOTIF6, RS7000, DX200 & SU200:"
42. Xanadu: Update via pea in the comments: "in xanadu, in the scene featuring the tubes, the keyboardist can be seen playing an oberheim 4-voice and sem, an edp wasp, and some other synths i didn't quite catch."
Update 7/18/2010: some spotted by swissdoc: "I stumbled across some moive scenes or TV shows showing same synth action: *** Synths in Miami Vice TV Show Episode Cool Runnin' (Friday October 5, 1984) for episode plot see: http://www.tv.com/miami-vice/cool-runnin/episode/107573/recap.html?tag=episode_recap;recap Noogie seems to be a musician, he owns some roto-toms, two guitars, a guitar amp and a Realistic Concertmate MG-1
44. Miami Vice - The Great McCarthy - Party Scene
YouTube via jamesyireland | May 14, 2010
"For many the finest episode from MV. From Season One of Miami Vice first aired on 16 Nov 1984 on NBC. Featuring Don Johnson, Philip Michael Thomas, William Gray Espy as Louis McCarthy and Maria McDonald as Vanessa. Enjoy!"
http://www.tv.com/miami-vice/the-great-mccarthy/episode/107579/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;summary There is big party scene whith a band playing, the keyboarder is playing a Moog Liberation Full scene here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBCfLLcDdo (band starts 1:19, Liberation first appearance 1:33)
47. Tango & Cash (1989) There is a scene with Kurt Russel in the audio lab of the mad scientist who did a false testimony based on faked recordings he did, Kurt plays some digital sounding noises when the scientist enters, could be a DX7, there is a EMS VCS3 visible behind the scientist. Next scene shows Terri Hatcher in a club dancing to Yazoo's Don't Go and later drumming ahead on some Simmons pads.
48. via sonicbrat "there is a sighting of Moog synthesizer in the American series "White Collar" Season 2 Episode 9 about 13minutes in [start at 12:45] as "Mozzie" tries to decode a music box message with, well a Moog. :)"
Delocated' during a spoof of face-off :)" 53. Sun Ra - Outer Space Employment Agency 50. Sun Ra's Space: via Gorgio of www.gleetchplug.com: "the only known filmed performance of a Minimoog Model B is in Sun Ra's Space is the Place mind-blowing feature film... from 7:10" Also see this post, this post, and this post. imdb.com : "Sun Ra - space-age prophet, Pharaonic jester, shaman-philosopher and avant-jazz keyboardist/bandleader--lands his spaceship in Oakland, having been presumed lost in space for a few years. With Black Power on the rise, Ra disembarks and proclaims himself "the alter-destiny." He holds a myth-vs reality rap session with vblack inner-city youth at a rec center, threatening "to chain you up and take you with me, like they did you in Africa" if they resist his plea to go to outer space. He duels at cards with The Overseer, a satanic overlord, with the fate of the black race at stake. Ra wins the right to a world concert, which features great performance footage of the Arkestra. Agents sent by the Overseer attempt to assassinate Ra, but he vanishes, rescues his people, and departs in his spaceship from the exploding planet Earth."
51. The Office: via Khoral "Hello, and happy holidays... Some fun synth spotting on The Office this season. Toilet serenade on the new XL for Ed Helms, eheh."
New Posts: ELI ELI LEMA SABACHTHANI? Electronic Music Studios (EMS) Synthi A, AKS, 100 1970 Mick Jagger on a Moog Modular WHITE STAR by Roland Klick (1983) Johnny Carson Plays THEREMIN Wheel of Fortune with Andrew Horton Pt 1 Revenge of the Nerds Talent Show MONEY MARK - Robot Friends - YO GABBA GABBA YMO Kirin Beer Commercial Edd Kalehoff Schaefer Beer Commercial past bored The Ghost of Faffner Hall "Thomas Dolby" - Synthesis Explained "El Monstruo" custom modular synthesizer system - MARKJENKINS.CO Mister Rogers - Look and Listen EMS VC3S Torture Device on MacGyver LECLERC Drive Synth Spotting in 1980s "Stunt Rock" Hammer House of Horror Roland System 700 Sighting Old Spice Muscle Music Synth Spotting with Trent Reznor in 1987 Light of Day Movie Speak of the Devil - Synths and The Head of The Church of Satan
See the comments below as well as the Synth Movies and Synth TV and Film channels for newer posts. Also see the Synth Movies list for films specifically about synths.